About the Lab
The USGS Mercury Research Laboratory (MRL) provides assistance and support for USGS regional and national projects in the collection and analysis of low-level mercury samples using ultra trace level clean collection and analytical methods.
The MRL currently performs analyses in filtered and unfiltered water samples for:
- low-level total mercury, and
- methyl mercury.
In addition, the laboratory performs analysis of:
- total and methyl mercury in plant and animal tissue,
- total and dissolved organic carbon in water, and
- total carbon in bedsediment and soil.
What analysis method do you need? See the Analysis Methods page for a cross-reference of the following:
- MRL analysis codes
- NWIS codes
- detection limits
- method reference publication
I'm new to the Lab. How do I get started?
- Read the USGS National Field Manual (NFM) guidance on water sampling.
- Review the "How to Collect a Sample" section of this website.
- Contact the Mercury Lab to order your sampling equipment and to review your sampling situation.
Lab Field Forms
lab forms »